Early Enrollment Options
Post Secondary Enrollment Option
High school students seeking to enroll in college courses to earn college credit while in high school are encouraged to seek guidance from their high school guidance counselor to begin the process.
The Post Secondary Enrollment Option (Ohio Senate Bill 140) provides high school students an opportunity to simultaneously earn college credit and high school credit by enrolling in an approved college course. If approved for Option B, the school district funds the cost. (It is at the discretion of the school district to bill the parent for any courses failed). Click here for guidelines on PSEO.
It is important that parents and students understand that the social maturity of the high school student should be a major consideration in the decision whether to enroll in college at an early age. Click here for the PSEO Parent-Student Guidelines.
- A student must gain approval from their high school guidance counselor.
- The student must take the college’s COMPASS placement test or have sufficient ACT/SAT scores to satisfy any prerequisites required for desired courses.
- The scores, along with the PSEO Application and Enrollment form which must be completed by the student and guidance counselor can then be submitted to an EGCC Admissions Advisor. An EGCC Advisor will gladly discuss course options with the student after testing but the student can not be registered for courses without both the specific courses approved and the signatures of both the guidance counselor and parent on the form upon submission to an EGCC Admissions Advisor.
Dual Enrollment Option
Dual Enrollment opportunities are arranged through the college’s Dual Enrollment Coordinator and the high school. Eastern Gateway Community College offers Dual Enrollment opportunities in a variety of formats, including:
- College course delivered at a high school by a high school faculty member: School district teacher (given adjunct faculty status by the college) delivering instruction at the high school
- College course delivered at a high school by a college faculty member: College instructor delivering instruction at the high school
- College course delivered at the college: College instructor delivering instruction on the college campus
- College course delivered online by a college faculty member: College instructor delivering instruction online
- College course delivered online by a high school faculty member: School district teacher (given adjunct faculty status by the college) delivering instruction online
- Blended models: A variety of combinations can result in approaches that involve team teaching — involvement of mixed school district and college faculty; involvement of multiple locations; involvement of mixed online and in classroom instruction
Please click here to view the dual enrollment informational brochure.
Students seeking to enroll as a traditional student at Eastern Gateway after high school graduation, including those who have taken PSEO or Dual Enrollment courses, will be required to follow the admissions checklist for a traditional student.