The Accounting Program is designed to prepare students for employment in entry-level positions in both public and private accounting. The program also will prepare the student who wishes to continue towards a four-year degree in accounting.
As a paraprofessional, the program graduate is an important member of the management team performing cost analysis, analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of conventional financial statements, and utilizing knowledge of a firm’s records to suggest improvements.
Students will have experience using computers for accounting applications, including spreadsheets, integrated general ledger packages, and payroll packages.
Eastern Gateway Community College accounting graduates are currently employed by both public and private accounting firms and by a broad variety of large and small businesses, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations. Many of our accounting graduates have also successfully pursued bachelor’s degrees and CPA licenses.
The program director is Associate Professor Marilyn Tubaugh. Her office number is 740.264.5591 x1652.
The graduate will be able to:
1. Prepare and maintain a set of manual or computerized financial accounting records for a corporation or a sole proprietorship in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, including daily transactions and the analysis of complex transactions.
2. Complete all end-of-period work, including the adjusting and closing process, and the preparation and analysis of the four financial statements.
3. Apply theory and practical applications of managerial accounting systems, including cost principles, for a manufacturer, merchandiser, and a service provider.
4. Prepare simple individual income tax returns and research tax questions.
5. Prepare and maintain payroll records.
Eastern Gateway Community College's Student Success Plan/Assessment is available for view in PDF format.
This information is presented as a general program overview. Students are advised to follow the more detailed college catalog for program requirements.